Opened in 1787 by the
Northumberland Glass Company.
Taken over by the
General Electric Company
in 1906 for production of
light bulbs and tubes.
This is the largest of the four
cones that were built - one of only
four such survivals in the country.
The cone was restored in 1993.
Various estimates put the number of
bricks used in it's construction as
1.00 and 1.75 million.